Happy Winds-day!

This is just a mild spring zephyr compared to the big wind of '67. Or was it, uh, '76? Oh, well, no matter. Oh, I remember the big blow well.  - Owl, Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day
If you're residing in New York City or thereabouts, you've just been subjected to one of the windiest spring weekends of all time. I'm alone this weekend; The Doo is in Toronto making people laugh, and I am sitting in the house editing articles for my parents. I told him it was so windy, I felt like I was in Chicago. His response was that it was probably more like Boston, or Toronto, as they are actually windier than Chicago. My response was a resounding duh; Chicago's moniker of "The Windy City" is actually reflective of the blow-hard nature of their early architects and city planners, who thought that by talking up the city, they might make it sound better than New York. Which might have worked had Chicago not been knee-deep in sewage and factory run-off at the time. They did get some beautiful buildings out of it.

I've been pretending it's fall. I can't help it; my mind just goes there. It's easier today - the sun was hiding behind thick, gray clouds, shattering itself piece-meal through branches and leaves when it could.
Yesterday when the sun was hot and bright in the sky I had some trouble transporting myself to fall. The wind through the trees sounded too fluid for terra firma, leaves and branches crashing against one another like ocean waves on the sand. Sitting in my living room, with windows open and eyes closed, I may as well have been on the beach. 
It's making me want to knit. There's apple cider in my fridge, waiting to be warmed, and a beautiful silk/mohair scarf for my Mother, just waiting to be finished. I took a break from the lacy blue mitts to make something for my Mom - one mitt is finished, the other... I think this is what they talk about when they talk about the One Sock Syndrome. It's hard to sustain that momentum, which seems solely driven by the need to finish something. It takes real dedication to duplicate the process once it's been done.
I haven't had a lot of time for knitting, what with transitioning between jobs and redoing the house (pictures soon, promise!), there hasn't been much time for anything else. Did I say that I was in Miami on business earlier this week? Well, that too.
                    So I think I'll go heat up some cider. And have a pastry. And finish this scarf.

0 comments:

Post a Comment