Empty Nest Syndrome

I'm not a mother, but I think I understand how a mother feels when her babies leave the nest.
Actually, no, I shouldn't say that. I could only say that if I knit something for 18 years. Something that had a cast-on edge of back-breaking pain, a cast-on edge that took anywhere from 12-24 hours to actually cast on and caused me to curse out my needles, yarn and anyone daring enough to be near me. A knitting project that cost money to continue knitting, even after the initial yarn was bought. And a project that was alternately beautiful and a bitch depending on the mood of the yarn swatch.
So no, I don't know exactly how a mother feels.
But I can tell you that putting Count Dracula Bowl in the mail was both one of the saddest and happiest days of my life.
I had to bring The Doo with me to even accomplish the task.
I was in no way helped along by my bizarre, innate fear of the post office, which is not going to aid my online craft business at all, but we'll cross (or burn) that bridge when we get to it.
He's quite handsome, is he not?
The pattern is also finished, though it hasn't left the editing stages yet. But basically, this baby has flown. I have more pictures, and will post them soon.
My next project involves double knitting, brothers, and sci-fi.
I'm hesitant to post pictures as it is supposed to be a surprise. Suffice it to say, it is really nerdy and cool and I'm employing the use of my brand-spanking new Interweave Work in Progress sketchbook The Doo bought me for my birthday. It's really great in that it has both unlined paper and knitting graph paper, which is very different from regular graph paper - the squares are squatter and wider to reflect the look of actual stitches. I can't tell you how many times I've used regular graph paper and had my color work come out looking completely wrong. Ok, I can. It happened with a bat towel I once made and with both Frankenbowl and Dracula Bowl. So three times. That was enough for me. At $10, it's small and portable and really worth having. I was also able to find a lot of free pdf downloads for knitting graph paper, so if you're especially scrappy you can just download sheets of graph paper and run off as many copies as you want. This I also did, at work, with about 50 sheets of paper. Ssshhh, don't tell the boss.

                                                         You can pick up one of your own here!

0 comments:

Post a Comment